Our Top Holiday Recipes
12 April 2018
Here at Marine Holiday Park we have plenty of choice when it comes to filling your belly with great food, but sometimes it is nice to stay in and have some great home cooked food! To help inspire your holiday kitchen we asked our staff for their favorite holiday recipes, with everything from tangy orange chicken to lasagna with a twist!
Pam’s Lasagna with a Twist
Our Sales Manageress Pam is well known to our Owners here at Marine Holiday Park, always at hand with any queries regarding owning your own dream holiday home. Not only can Pam make a great chilli con carne (just ask our owners!) but she makes a lasagna with a Spanish twist!
What you need:
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of dried mixed herbs
- 500g of good quality beef mince
- 500g passata sauce
- 70g of Spanish Chorizo
- 9 medium lasagne sheets
- 480g of white lasagna sauce
- 20g of mature cheddar
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC, fan 180ºC, gas mark 6. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until softened, then add the garlic and herbs and cook for a further minute.
- Add the mince and cook for a further 6-7 minutes, or until browned. Stir in the passata and chorizo (reserving a handful for the topping) and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spoon 1/3 of the beef mixture into a 20cm square ovenproof dish. Cover with 3 sheets of pasta and then 1/3 of the white sauce. Repeat, finishing with the white sauce and then sprinkle over the grated cheese and reserved chorizo.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling.
Williams Family Traditional Welsh Lamb Casserole
Wyn and Samantha Williams have been proud owners of Marine Holiday Park since 2007, but this hearty Welsh warmer has been in the family for much longer!
What You Need:
- 600g Welsh Lamb shoulder
- 2-3 table spoons of olive oil
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 700ml of lamb stock (preferably from the Lamb!)
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 large potato, diced
- Sprig of rosemary
- Sprig of thyme
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180℃, fan 160℃. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil with the butter in a large flameproof casserole dish or deep ovenproof sauté pan.
- Pierce holes into the lamb, rubbing the herbs and garlic into the skin and meat
- Tip in the lamb and fry over a high heat for 5 minutes, turning over occasionally, until no longer pink and starting to brown. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the onion to the dish or pan with another tablespoon of oil if needed, and fry over a medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or until just starting to brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute, then the tomato purée and keep stirring for about 30 seconds. Pour in a little of the stock and scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze it. Slowly add the rest of the stock, stirring all the time.
- Return the lamb to the pan along with the carrots, potato and herb sprigs. Cover and bake in the oven for 3/4 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Alwyn’s Scotch Egg
Alwyn is a member of our helpful Maintenance Team, always at hand to help keep Marine Holiday Park tidy and running smoothly. When I told Alwyn I was planning on doing a holiday recipes blog, his face lit up as he told me about his Scotch egg recipe!
What You Need:
- 10 large free-range eggs
- 6 good quality butchers sausages
- ½ a bunch of fresh chives
- ½ a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon English mustard
- plain flour, for dusting
- 150 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- Drizzle of sunflower oil
What To Do:
- Boiled 6 eggs in a pan for 2 minutes for a runnier yolk (or 3-4 for harder boiled) and then peel off shell. Put aside.
- Divide sausages into equal portions and then pat out each portion, mixing in the parsley, chives and mustard.
- On a surface of breadcrumbs, pat out each portion evenly. Wrap each portion around each hard-boiled egg, sealing by pressing the edges together.
- Dip the sausage coated eggs in beaten egg, then roll in breadcrumbs again for a further coating.
- Place on a baking tray and bake in preheated 190C/gas mark 5 for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned
Alex’s Tangy Orange Chicken
Our Marketing Manager Alex is known by our staff for her great food and this tangy orange chicken recipe definitely won’t disappoint! Perfect with rice, veg or chips, it will always be a favourite!
What You Need:
- 3-4 Boneless chicken thighs or breast
- Cayenne pepper
- 4 chopped shallots
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of wheat beer (optional!)
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- 2 table spoons of honey
- Juice of half an orange
- 3 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley
What To Do:
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper and add to the pan.
- Sauté for roughly 6 minutes per side, or until cooked through, turning down the heat if the chicken is browning too quickly.
- When cooked through, remove the chicken and cover with foil.
- Add the shallots to the pan and cook until softened, about one minute. Add garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Add beer, soy sauce, honey, and orange juice to the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil, scraping the pan to loosen the browned bits from the chicken. Cook until the sauce is reduced and glaze-like, about 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and coat with the sauce. Sprinkle with the parsley to serve.
All our caravans here at Marine Holiday Park come with modern kitchens, equipped with the highest quality fittings so you can try out all our holiday recipes. If you are a first time buyer, you will receive a starter packing including your kitchen essentials along with duvets, pillows and bedding! To top it off, on selected ranges we will throw in £2500 worth of decking AND a 32” TV, fridge, microwave, kettle and toaster!
To help with buying your perfect holiday home we have our 321 Scheme; 3 years site fees at £3000, 2 years interest free and 1 years free site fees! Get in touch with our Sales Team today on 01745 508634 or Click Here to view our latest range of holidays homes.
View all news